I draw comics and work in contemporary music. I studied journalism and public policy, and I've written everything from 40-word briefs for a newspaper sidebar to a 30,000-word dense academic manuscript. I'm currently working on a full-length graphic novel, tentatively titled 'The Last Grand Fallible Plan'. It traces five different musical niches across the Asian continent, and their strange relationship with cultural nationalism, moral panics and collective memory.
I have a deep interest in contemporary pan-Asian culture, and the creative life of emerging megacities like Jakarta, Beijing and New Delhi. I love tracking down interesting new subcultures and underground music, and I hope to build some kind of synthesis between 'indie' communities in different Asian cities. Here's a talk I gave on this topic in Singapore in 2013:
My writing has two distinct streams: longform reportage on politics, development and contemporary culture, and videogames criticism. My work has appeared in print newspapers, digital magazines and blogs. You can find a more detailed breakdown of my journalism work here.
I've been drawing comics for the last 9 years. My drawings have appeared in the BBC, Buzzfeed, National Geographic Traveller India, a book of essays about Beijing, and the internal magazine of Germany's Free Democratic Party (It's a long story).
Here's a non-exhaustive list of various projects and fun things I've worked on or been part of:
- In 2009, I created a plush toy of Indian film director Satyajit Ray. There's (a bit) more info on it on the front page of this site.
- In 2009 and 2010, I started Bears Being Stalked by T Rajendar, The Hindu Reviews and Facebook Translation Poetry - Tumblrs based on Indian memes at the time.
- In 2011 and 2012, I hosted and conducted two trivia quizzes in Singapore. Contact me if you want the questions and slides!
- In 2012, I started my webcomic Beijing Brown - initially to document Chinese indie music.
- In 2013, I graduated with a master's degree in Public Policy from the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy.
- In 2013, I spoke at the 6th Singapore PechaKucha Night event. You can find a video of my talk above.
- In 2013, I live blogged and wrote for Tech in Asia's flagship annual event, Startup Asia 2013.
- In 2014, I wrote and guest-edited Vol 2, Issue 1 of Zoya Street's Memory Insufficient zine.
- In 2014, I took my first trip to the US, and published Brave Young Soul - a travelogue.
- In 2014, I started e:\>_ , a gaming zine focused on Asian gaming histories.
- In 2014, I published a 30-page comic called Face Control, a Moscow travelogue.
- In 2015, I started a podcast on songwriting in Asia called Interesting Times (on iTunes here).
- In 2016, I was involved in the Concrete & Grass Music Festival in Shanghai, China.
- In 2016, I drew a nine-page comic called 'Nagpur Junction', on grief, parenting and memory.
- In 2017, I drew a comic about the word 'curry', which was featured on Buzzfeed.